Monday, April 21, 2008

Kinda Funny Cash Game Story...

Ok, got a light-hearted story to tell right now.

This happened at AltronIV's house while playing a cash game with thebmorekid, my friend George and several other people we play with all the time.

We're playing .25/.50 No Limit, everyone bought in for something between $40-$60. We usually play .50/ $1 with buy-ins anywhere from $40-$300 but the game was meant to be a Saturday hangout and we ordered the UFC fight.

Anyway.. The hand went like this. I bought in for $60, was down to $46 at the time. I'm in the big blind and I have not looked at my cards (I try not to until it's my turn to act).

George raises to $4, thebmorekid re-pops to $14, everyone else has folded to me, I look down at pocket aces. I know I'm raising, I look at my stack and If I raise.. I'm basically pot committed with whatever I do. So I push for $48 total. George folds and thebmorekid takes a good 3 minutes or so debating what to do. My raise was $34 on top of his $14.. the pot had my 14 + his 14 + George's 4.. so it was over $32, not including any limps I can't remember. Basically, he's getting 2-1. But he was taking so long I couldn't put him on a hand.. it didn't feel like AK or JJ b/c he's obviously not taking that long to call. Maybe J10? 87? a hand like that.. some suited bullshit he's probably going to call with. I, of course, want him to call with anything he has.

After a boring 3 minutes of genuinely not knowing what he has or what he's doing.. he finally calls.

Guess what he had. Take a minute and think.. then scroll down..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
7-2 of spades.

Yes, he re-raised to $14 and found himself getting 2-1 with 7-2 sooooooted. Obviously, he had to hope I had AK, and he even told me because of my push, It looked like I didn't want to see a flop.

He blanks, I won the pot.. But here's where it gets interesting.

The table now gets into an open debate of what the preflop percentages were of AA vs 72 of spades. I did have the Ace of spades, by the way.

My first instinct was 88%-12%.. but no lower than 85%-15%. That was my range of thinking. thebmorekid believed it was lower, more like 80%-20% or 82%-18%. So what did we do? Bet on it, of course.

A small, $10 bet for fun. For the Ace of diamonds and Ace of spades versus the 7-2 of spades.. we agreed I would take 85.5% and up, and he would take 84.4% and below. Everything in between, basically 85%, was a wash. We get on www.cardplayer.com and look up the Texas Holdem Odds Calculator.

The percentage was 84.38%. That lucky bastard. I lost the bet by two hundreths of a percentage!! It's ok, at least I got him to double me up with 7-2.

No comments: