Thursday, March 20, 2008

Playing over my Bankroll.. Getting Back Down to Earth

The last 24 hours of my online poker life can be described pretty simply: roller coaster. I began last night with $570 in my account and I felt like playing some 7 card stud. And, because of my added confidence of being on a good run lately, I decided to play in a bigger game than usual. I bought in to three tables: $1/2 Stud Hi, $2/4 Stud Hi and $1/2 Stud Hi/Lo. I always buy-in for 20 big bets, so it was $40, $80 and $40 respectively. So, I put $160/$570 at risk... or 28% of my bankroll. Not a smart move.. and I paid for it.

I caught some of the worst cards you can in Stud. In the $2/4 game, I caught a Queen-high diamond flush on 5th street... only to be immediately raised by a K-J-2 of hearts after the same guy bet 4th street like he had a flush draw. I go into check/call mode only to see he has the A-K heart flush. I didn't record any of the hands because it was late.. but that's the general idea. Then I jumped into some .25/.50 NL Holdem with a $15 CAP.. proceeded to run into situations like when I had AQ vs AJ... flop is rags... Jack on the river.. you know how this story ends. All things considered.. I ran really cold in games over my head and dropped $120 in 25 minutes.

So, I decide today to go back to basics... play smart! I decide to return to my tournament roots, figuring my game has been improving in multi-table tournaments and I should keep it going. So, I got online at 7:00pm eastern Wednesday with about $450 in my account. I bought into two $14+1 Satellites to the Fifty Fifty ($50,000 guarantee).. and I won one of them. Wednesday is also Brawl night, as well as the Mookie from the Battle of the Bloggers. In other words, I wanted to play tourneys and I had more than my fill.

By 10:00pm eastern, I was in five multi-table No Limit Holdem tournaments:
- $10+1 Bmore's Brawl - 30 players
- $10+1 The Mookie - 106 players
- $50+5 Fifty Fifty - 981 players
- $10+2 Daily Double A - 1263 players
- $10+2 Daily Double B - 1149 players

I feel that I played my best game, considering I had five tables to concentrate on. I saved a few screen shots of huge hands that led to my exit from some of these.

This one is from Daily Double B. The blinds are 120/240 with a 25 ante and I have about 5200. A short stack of around 2900 pushes all-in from middle position and I am in the small blind with AK....


Crippling.. as you can see. I later pushed with QJ suited during the 150/300 level with about 2200 and was called and felted by A 10. I finished 283/1149. Played well, no cash money though.

Here's a fun one from the mookie. The blinds are 50/100 and I have around 1300. Hadn't really played a hand but I decide to raise from under the gun with AQ, and the Big blind calls. I see my Ace-high flop and push after the BB checks... and this happened:

So yea.. I was out. Kinda hated that. I finished somewhere in the 60s range of the 106 player tournament. I was more focused on the Brawl and Fifty Fifty.

Here's a hand from that Fifty Fifty. The blinds were 60/120 and both the villian and I had over 4000. The villian is in the cut-off... everyone folds to him and he limps. Button and Small Blind both fold, I look at pocket Tens in the big blind and decide to check. Now.. to understand the strangeness of this hand, let's have a little quiz.. see if you can guess what he had. Here's the action.

Pot= 300. Flop comes down 6-J-8 with two clubs. I have 10,10 with no clubs. I decide to bet 200 to see if has the Jack. He calls quickly. So I am thinking about clubs here.. but who knows, I don't know the villian.

Pot= 700. Turn: 3 of diamonds (6-J-8-3 with two clubs, two diamonds).. Diamonds don't concern me here.. but I feel that if I bet now and he raises, he's probably got me beat. So I decide to lead out again, this time for 350, half the pot. I feel that if he has the Jack, he HAS to raise here as there is too much danger on this board. However, he hesitates and calls again.. a little less quickly.

Pot= 1400. River: J of spades (6-J-8-3-J).. Honestly, I love this card. Both flushes missed, I don't think he has a Jack from the previous action.. but he just might. Players do weird things sometimes and I know that. So I decide to make a blocker bet for value... in other words, if I'm good I don't want to miss a bet, but If I bet and get raised or called, I want to lose the minimum. So I bet 400 into a pot of 1400. Villian insta-calls. Now......

What does he have? (think about it, make one guess and scroll down)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

He had ACES!! I was stunned, quite honestly...

So, I got short stacked after this point, down to 2200 or so and was forced to play push/fold poker. I ended up building it up to 16,000 before going busto. I busted 84th out of 981 for $90.

Now, for the brawl. Be sure to keep an eye on thebmorekid's blog for details on the Brawl itself.. but long story short, I went heads up with Kori (kibl). We got heads up around the 1000/2000 blind level with Kori having 49000 to my 41000 chips. Unfortunately.. my cards went as dead as they go heads up. I'm not taking anything away from Kori, but I didn't have better than 6-high in 60% of my hands. When I had a hand, Kori folded.. of course. But either way, I had fun.. and ended up having to push on the button when I was down to 16,000 in chips.


So, yea... that was over quick. I took down second place.. my third top-three in the eight tournaments I've played at Bmore's Brawl. Wanted to win my third brawl bracelet.. but can't have it all I guess. I also took over the lead spot on the Money list with tonight's $48 cash and my four knockouts extended my lead in that category. I've done well at the brawl, and I feel that considering the level of the players there.. it's a great accomplishment to be the leader through ten tourneys having only played 8 of them.


Overall, I ended up spending $70 in tournament fees and bringing in $146 in profits (when you add in the knockout bonuses from the brawl). Add in a few dollars from cash games here and there and I've rebounded from my bankroll blowup from last night. Back up to $540... I believe I've learned my lesson and I plan on sticking within the boundaries of my roll from now on..

No comments: