Friday, March 21, 2008

Going Deep in Multi-Table Tournaments

For the second straight night, I played two $14+1 satellites to get a seat in Full Tilt's Fifty Fifty Tournament.. and for the second straight night I won one of them and got into the $50+5 Tournament by only spending $30.

On Wednesday night, I place 84th out of 981 for $90. I basically played solid until it got down to the nitty gritty where it becomes push/fold for half the field. I picked up AQ and ran into KK.. end of story.

But last night (Thursday), I'm really upset with myself because I feel like a had a real shot at some serious cash. There were 1,050 players and 153 got paid. When we were at the bubble, I only had about 3,200 chips.. someone busted and I cashed. So, I started going crazy. As soon as I got a hand, All-in. I more than doubled up three straight times and quickly found myself with 32,000 chips. Then, I won another pot and took it up to 60,000... then up to 82,000.. I was on a roll.

With 45 players left, I was in 5th place. Tables were shifted around and I ended up with the chip leader on my left. He had 160,000 to my 78,000. Long story short, I waited and waited for a hand.. picked up A7 in a spot where I thought I could re-steal someone's raise. The guy to my right raised weak to 5200 at 1200/2400 blinds and I re-popped him to 15k. I was positive he had a hand he'd fold, besides.. I've only show monsters when I played. The chip leader to my left instantly goes all-in. I have to fold.

So with 30 players left, I pick up 87 in the cut-off. Everyone folds around. With the chip leader to my left and two guys in the blinds who had plenty of chips, I thought it was time for a blind steal. At 1500/3000 I raised to 9000. Chip leader insta-calls. His range is massive because he played like a loose-agressive moron who forgot the fold button existed. Both blinds fold and it comes down 9-10-A. There's 28k in the pot, I have 70k in front of me at this point.

I decided to check to see if he would bet and would re-access what kind of hand I thought he had by how he bet. I wasn't necessarily planning a check/raise... but it was obviously an option.

So he bets 14,500 into a 28,000 pot. Kind of hesitantly as well. I think about it, looked at my odds with my open-ender.. was getting laid 42.5 to 14.5, a fraction away from 3-1 and thought, well let me see the turn and re-access. I call. Turn is a King. (9-10-A-K)

Now, I figured I could do one of two things. If I push (only have 55k now and there's enough in the pot) I know he's going to call with any ace or king. No matter what. That's how he was playing. So I'd have to be absolutely certain he didn't have one.. and I wasn't. I was pretty sure he had nothing.. but couldn't be positive. The only way for me to learn more about him.. and how he felt about that King was to check and see what he does. I checked, and he hesitated and checked behind me. Now I'm thinking he may have a J-10, Q-10, pocket 8s-2s, J-9 J-8 even... But for some reason, I really felt he didn't hit anything.

River comes out another 9. Final board is now (9-10-A-K-9).

There's about 55k in the pot, I have 55k and now I feel like he didn't like the King.. was probably bluffing the Ace on the flop.. but what if he has a nine. For some reason I doubted it. And I was right... sort of.

I lost my mind and decided to push the river, try to steal it. He insta-called me with A-5. I was surprised he insta-called... good call by him. But why play it so weak throughout the hand if you are going to insta-call the river? Didn't expect to see an Ace or King there. So I went busto in 30th place.. took home a cool $220.50 for my largest online cash to date. (I know it's pathetic, right?)

Back to back Fifty Fiftys.. back to back cashes.. on back to back satellites.. Guess I can't really complain too much... but damn I wish I hadn't played that 87. I know I screwed up.. but that'll just make me that much better the next time I go deep in a big tourney.

No comments: